Hoenn Suggestion of Legend.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AbsolGasai, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AbsolGasai

AbsolGasai Active Member

I know this will probably be denied without even a second thought, but...

Let's not have this as a "christian minecraft server," many people like to have unhindered vernacular and conversations without being called out by a million and a half offended 13 year olds and their 14-21 year old guardian angel helpers.

Think about it, many people wouldn't be frustrated, banned, or go find another server where they can use their right to free speech if it were only available. Also: it has come to my attention that some of the modern staff (not sure which ones, who, or any details really) are biased in who they decide to punish and what gets a mute, etc.

Example A: 1 guy was joking about school shooting, while another simply mentioned article 13 and the latter was banned, but not the former.

It would go to reason that the rules aren't being properly and justly enforced largely due to the lack of order, maturity, and age among staff.

I hate to go off on a tangent and rant about age, but having a server run by 13 year olds who likely lack maturity, impartiality, experience as a leader, and the like probably aren't the best choices to help run a server. Rules need to be enforced upon everyone equally and to be incapable of impartiality should result in a warning, followed by a temp-kick from staff, followed by staff blacklistation or something.

Though several topics are mentioned in this: the general points are

1: Stricter rules and regulations on staff
    2: Possibly having a google doc showing what conversations are punishable **very** clearly soas to make a universally accepted set of guidelines as apposed to every 13-21 or so year old's interpretation, as obviously everyone is going to get the jimmies rustled by different things
    3: Require some form of log in discord for staff to show when they get on, when they get off, and maybe what they did so that you can remove any inactive members on the spot
    4: Minimum age for the helper line (as it is a lot of responsibility and anyone with a lack of experience is quite likely to abuse it or give different players different treatment)
    Example: bob, a 12 year old helper, mutes tim: an average player, for saying toaster bath, but not jim: tim's broski, for going on, in excruciating detail, about various torture techniques from the dark ages.
  2. _Brokencrystal_

_Brokencrystal_ Ex-Mod/Omni Sub

I can't comment on Hoenn's current situation with staff since I don't play there any more, but I was 11 when I first became a Hoenn Helper. I eventually challenged the gyms and applied for sub. I worked my way up to Mod/Omni and even after I left Hoenn, I returned to being staff on a different part of Journey.
    If I had been denied this opportunity only because of my age, I would have quit the network long ago. They have a recommendations and application system for a reason.
    Also, they do have a way of telling who is inactive without requiring everyone to say every single time they logged on.
    Lastly, consider that, for example, a player saying something inappropriate for the first time, an hour after they joined the server, will have a less harsh punishment than someone who has played for a year and a half but still consistently breaks rules.
  3. Lavster

Lavster The Wild Snorlax / Hoenn Staff Member Manager

Hey absol,

I do appreciate you writing this post, and I will agree with some aspects that could be said for virtually any staff team on any MC server. However for the sake of clarification, we do actually have a set of guidelines for our Helpers, Mods, and Senior Mods alike, when it comes to punishing players for general chat rules. (Such as character dragging, racial slurs, swearing, spamming, etc.) In addition to these general guidelines, we must leave these mutes and punishments upto the discretation of the staff member that is available at the time. I believe that our staff work in the community's best interest, and personally no one wishes to punish someone else, and only do so with justification. But like @_Brokencrystal_ mentioned, sometimes a first offense doesn't even warrant a mute but a verbal warning may suffice, other times it might just go unnoticed as the staff are preoccupied taking battles or hosting events. On the other hand, repeat offenders will be given extended punishments, again left to the staff member's discretation. But we all are human after all, and mistakes are bound to happen, this is where our Appeal sections come in, where players can report bans/mutes or other punishments that they deem to be unjust and we will either lift them or provide a further explanation so that everything is clear. :D

Sorry for the lengthy message but I hope that clears things up o/
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AbsolGasai

AbsolGasai Active Member

Thanks for the input Lav and Crys.
  5. Cmdr Shamlam

Cmdr Shamlam New Member

Hey! What about answering the part where AbsolGasai suggests making the server more lenient on what type of language would be allowed? According to studies, while many don't like the sound of it, cursing does increased intelligence. This is due to people who curse becoming able to further extend their vocabulary and composition of sentences/phrases. If the server's management is scared of being affected by angry parents filing claims that say "your server turned my child into a bad mouthing devil", just make a terms of agreement page that says you are not responsible for such behavior. I'm really liking this post so far though. Would definitely bring more people of different age groups to the server by "de-Christianizing" it. LOL
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. _Brokencrystal_

_Brokencrystal_ Ex-Mod/Omni Sub

Server's been PG as far back as I can remember, don't see why it should be changed. Disregarding whether those studies are true or not, nobody is saying "if you play on this server, you can't swear at all in real life" - even, the Discord and TeamSpeak servers allow as much swearing as you like, provided it's not directed at anyone and causing offense.
    Don't understand how it would allow people of more varying ages to play, seems like it would just become rather unwelcoming for any younger children.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Winglet

Winglet Priest of Lord Kyuubi|Survival S-Mod Staff Member Moderator

To give some additional thought to your... interesting? Reply
    It isn't even as such to appease parents or being a "Good christian server" it is a case of am and will i treat someone with respect with the words i use. The more you allow certain words to be used to more you encourage and normalise such behaviour. I myself curse more than which is regarded as normal and had to learn overtime that words do can and will hurt if not filtered properly in the right situation. More specifically a chat room. Or to be more specific our server chats. 9/10 of the times if you don't know the person or read it wrong
    It will most certainly offend someone if curse words or other foul language is used. Because people don't have the same concept in their head as you did.
    All in all i don't believe changing the chat rules will or can benefit Journey and it's player growth
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rumba1313

Rumba1313 Kanto Manager Staff Member Manager

Hello Cmdr Shamiam,

You've been given the perspective of two great staff members at different positions within our server; moderator and helper. So to cap it all off, I'll share my perspective as a Manager of a server and the one who created said rules. In regards to language, people are given the freedom to use it an express it as they see needed. Communication is a complicated thing online, when so many words and actions can be interpreted differently that what is intended. That being said, we do NOT tolerate any language that is discriminatory, directed extremely negative towards any persons or things, and would be considered cyber harassment. Because of this particular belief held by the upper management, we have decided to filter against curse words as they tend to be used in cases where the aforementioned reasoning are applied. Furthermore, we also like to maintain a professional and safe environment on our network.
    "According to studies, while many don't like the sound of it, cursing does increased intelligence. This is due to people who curse becoming able to further extend their vocabulary and composition of sentences/phrases."
    The study you mention actually only tested people's ability to list curse words and then list a category of words in an allotted time. They made no correlation to the usage of these words in the study. Sure, I can list all the swear words of a sailor, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use it on a minecraft server. This argument is not valid enough to support swearing on the server.
    "Would definitely bring more people of different age groups to the server by "de-Christianizing" it. LOL"
    Our server does not affiliate with any particular religion. I've stated above why we have the chat rules that we do.

AbsolGasai,

I feel as though your post has been thoroughly replied to, but if you feel like you want to open the discussion further, feel free to contact me on discord and we can discuss your post in further detail.

Rumba ~
    • Agree Agree x 1