Journey Ray-Traced Minecraft?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frosty, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Frosty

Frosty Member

Hello, you may know me by Prolorix, I have published a video that has been influenced by Johto's spawn. If people would like to see how Johto's spawn looks with Ray Traced visuals I have made a comparison video with normal SEUS shaders.
    My main reason in doing so is because I wish to inform people what the differences are between the shader packs and I would like to show how they perform on a RTX 2080 and also just because I have a interest in visuals and graphics design.

For those that have a GPU that is capable of Ray Tracing Shader packs and is intrigued with how it looks in Johtos spawn have a quick look at the video

On the other hand for those that do not fully understand how and what Ray Tracing is and is interested I will explain in simple terms. Ray tracing is a rendering technique like the familiar rasterization that is used in games today.
    Rasterization takes a 3D Virtual scene and renders the scene in 2D translating polygons into pixels to be displayed on your screen, other rendering techniques like ambient occlusion is essentially combined with typical rasterization to create more accurate and harder shadows relative to the light in the scene.
    As for their lower complexity ambient occlusion is able to be run in real time since a small number of rays are needed to be casted and only extracts the amount of geometry in the area when the ray hits an object.
    A high number of geometry? a darker shadow
    A low quantity of geometry? a lighter shadow

Reflections in rasterization are screen space reflections, which means that only reflected geometry that is present in the viewport can be seen as a reflection. Thats why for example picture a large tower next to a body of water. You can only see half of the tower in your view, therefore you will only be able to see half of the tower in the reflection of the water since it is not rendered in.

Real Time Ray-Tracing is a phenomenal advancement in Video Graphics which simulates how light behaves in the real world. Ray tracing calculates the interactions of light by tracing the path that light would take if it were to travel from the eye of the viewer through the virtual 3D scene, when a ray encounters an object it is intersected and generates multiple new rays to reach a light source gathering very accurate data of how light interacts with the object. If it is a reflective surface, the light ray is reflected. If the light is blocked by a non reflective surface it causes a shadow. If light passes through a transparent object it causes refractions.

Path Tracing is a type of ray tracing rendering technique which rays are casted and bounces around the scene when it hits an object until it reaches a light source. Both rendering techniques are very compute heavy algorithms which commonly used in films require huge render farms with dozens of computers ray tracing a frame in hours.
    The advancement to render rays in real time is very staggering, the results are also phenomenal as the scene looks much more realistic and reflections are no longer reflected in screen space only.

Thanks for reading, I am just here to exert my interests I geuss not to mention how fascinated I am by the visuals this tech produces.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019